Position: Senior Scientist, Plant & Food Research
Role in NuNZ: Project Leader Metabolomics
Research interests and activities
Metabolite analysis (metabolomics) using GC- and LC-MS to understand plant metabolism and for biomarker and metabolite discovery.
PhD Chemistry University of Otago
Honours and awards
Trimble Agricultural Trust Travel Fellowship, 1999, 1990, 1986
Fulbright Travel Fellowship 1986
NZ Institute of Chemistry
Royal Society of New Zealand
- Lin, H-M., Edmunds, S.J., Zhu, S., Helsby, N.A., Ferguson, L.R. and Rowan, D.D. 2011. Metabolomic analysis reveals differences in urinary excretion of kiwifruit-derived metabolites in a mouse model of inflammatory bowel disease. Molecular nutrition and food research. Molecular Nutrition and Food Research. In press.
- Otter, D., Cao, M., Lin, H-M., Fraser, K., Lane, L. and Rowan, D. 2011. Identification of urinary biomarkers of colon inflammation in IL10-/- mice using short-column LCMS metabolomics. J. Biomedicine and Biotechnology, 2011: 974-701. Epub 2010 Dec 6. doi:10.1155/2011/974701.
- Lin, H-M, Helsby, Nuala; Rowan, D.D. Ferguson, Lynnette; 2011. Using metabolomic analysis to understand inflammatory bowel diseases. Inflammatory Bowel Diseases 17 (4): 1021-1029 1-9. DOI: 10.1002/ibd.21426.
- Lin, H-M, Barnett, Matthew; Roy, Nicole; Joyce, Nigel; Zhu, William; Armstrong, Kelly; Helsby, Nuala; Ferguson, Lynnette; Rowan, D.D. 2010. Metabolomic analysis identifies inflammatory and non-inflammatory metabolic effects of genetic modification in a mouse model of Crohn's disease J. Proteome Research 9: 1965-1975.
- Lin, H-M., Edmunds, S.J., Helsby, N.A., Ferguson, L.R. and Rowan, D.D. 2009. Non-targeted metabolite profiling by gas chromatography â€“ mass spectrometry reveals potential inflammatory biomarkers in a Crohnâ€™s disease mouse model. J. Proteome Research. 8 (4): 2045â€“2057. DOI: 10.1021/pr800999t.
- Dryland, P.A., Love, D.R., Walker, M.F., Dommels, Y., Butts, C., Rowan, D., Roy, N.C., Helsby, N., Browning, B.L., Zhu, S., Copp, B.R. and Ferguson, L.R. 2008. Allantoin as a biomarker of inflammation in an inflammatory bowel disease mouse model: NMR analysis of urine. The Open Bioactive Compounds Journal 1: 1-6.