Position: Nutrigenomics Team Leader, Plant & Food Research
Role in NuNZ: Proteomics Work Package Leader
Research interests and activities
Chemical characterisation, specialising in LC-MS of small molecules, peptides and proteins, with particular emphasis on proteomics and identification and bioavailability of phytochemicals.
DPhil Chemistry, University of Waikato, New Zealand
MSc Chemistry (1st Class Hons), University of Waikato, New Zealand
BSc Chemistry, University of Waikato, New Zealand
Honours and awards
FRST Postdoctoral Fellowship
William Georgetti Scholarship
New Zealand Universities’ Postgraduate Scholarship
New Zealand Federation of University Women’s Scholarship
1988- Waikato representative in the NZIC/NZBC Conference Student Paper Competition
New Zealand Institute of Chemistry
- Cooney, J; Barnett, M.P.G; Brewster, D; Knoch, B; McNabb, W.C; Laing, W; Roy, N.C. 2011: Proteomic analysis of colon tissue from interleukin-10 gene-deficient mice fed polyunsaturated fatty acids and comparison with transcriptomic analysis. J. Proteome Research (submitted).
- Edmunds, S.J; Roy, N; Davey, M; Cooney, J; Barnett, M.P.G; Zhu, S; Park, Z; Love, D.R; Laing, W. 2011: The effects of kiwifruit extracts on colonic gene and protein expression levels in interleukin 10 gene-deficient mice. British Journal of Nutrition (accepted).
- Lyall KA, Hurst SM, Cooney JM, Jensen DJ, Lo K, Hurst RD, Stevenson LM 2009: Short-term blackcurrant extract consumption modulates exercise-induced oxidative stress and lipopolysaccharide-stimulated inflammatory responses. American Journal of Physiology - Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology 297(1): R70-R81.
- Blumenstein, M.; McMaster, M.T.; Black, M.A.; Wu, S.; Cooney, J,; McCowan, L.M.E.; Cooper, G.J.S.; North, R.A. 2009. A proteomic approach identifies early pregnancy biomarkers for preeclampsia: novel linkages between a predisposition to preeclampsia and cardiovascular disease. Proteomics 9, 1-17.
- Laing WA, Wright MA, Cooney J, Bulley SM 2007. The missing step of the L-galactose pathway of ascorbate biosynthesis in plants, an L-galactose guanyltransferase, increases leaf ascorbate content. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 104(22): 9534-9539.
- Cooney, J.M., Jensen, D.J. and McGhie, T.K. 2004: LC-MS Identification of Anthocyanins in Boysenberry Extract and Anthocyanin Metabolites in Human Urine Following Dosing. J. Sci. Food Agric. 84, 237-245.